Sunday, March 11, 2012

I Must Have Been a Librarian in a Former Life!

Having been off work for the past little while, I had a lot of time to do one of my most favourite things to do in the whole entire world...shop for books! My husband thinks I have an addiction, because I CANNOT walk past a thrift store without checking out the children's book section.  I know!...I get almost giddy when I find, 'like new', Horrible Harry, Secrets of Droon, or Magic School Bus books for like, 50¢ or <gasp> 25¢. 

Of course, this means I now have to 'process' all of them...and because I'm a bit anal when it comes to my class library, it involves a number of steps for each book:
  1. Find the Guided reading level
  2. Put the corresponding colour code on the back of the book
  3. Put a label on the back indicating which basket the book will go into
  4. Print up a 'library card' for each book that will go into the pocket I affix to the inside front cover of each book
  5. Scan each book into my database with my new scanner! 
    I heart my scanner!
    I'm going to be a very busy lady over the next few days as I work my way through the collection!...Oh, joy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi There!!

    Just found your blog through the linky party!! I'm your newest follower. I'm also a third grade teacher and LOVe buying books too :) I get so excited when I get them for 50 cents or less! Hahah. .I guess that's a way you know you're a teacher :P I was actually disappointed today because there were a ton of awesome garage sales with books today but I had to stay in and get some work done :/ Please come and stop by my blog when you get a chance!!

    Courtney
    Teaching in Paradise

    ReplyDelete