Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mathematics a Teachable Moment

Our district uses a text-based math program called "Math Makes Sense", which isn't too bad, but I really don't like curriculum that is driven by a text book.  First of all, there is a fair amount of reading involved which isn't so great if you are a student who is reading 2 grades below grade level!. . . and let's face it we have a few of them in our class every year.  And secondly, I always find that in a text-based math program you tend to teach the unit and then kind of forget about the concept. . . except for an occasional review.  Can you tell I'm a bit dissatisfied with the program?

Last summer, I decided to look at a program that I had hanging around for a few years. . . I had used parts of it in the past, but didn't really incorporate the whole system as I was a bit afraid thinking I would ease into it gradually.  Because I was switching from intermediate to primary, I thought this might be a good time to revisit the program. . . because you know . . . they do things more 'wholistically' in the primary grades <grin/smirk> and I wanted to embrace my "primariness" (invented vocabulary):))

The program is called Mathematics As A Teachable Moment and was a resource developed in my province by a very talented man named Trevor Calkins.  To make a very long explanation/introduction short . . . I LOVE his way of teaching math.  I think I will have to spend a number of blogs going through all the specific things I do during our math time, but I will let you know that my hour long daily math block goes by sooo fast and we cover so many concepts through the variety of routine activities we do daily that it is awesome . . it's one of those 'where have you been all of my life' kind of things.

If you're interested in brain-based learning, meeting the needs of all learners, want to know how you can meet all your state/province standards, or you're just plain curious,  check out the above website and stay tuned as i attempt to share how the program is working in my classroom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment